The bare foot is the best running coach money can't buy.

Please visit me at my new site...

This site now has a permanent URL at www.BarefootJosh.com. You will be automatically redirected in a few seconds, or go ahead and click here to go there now.

Friday, December 4, 2009

New PBCR (Personal Barefoot Cold Record)

I woke up this morning to 30 degrees outside. Normally I like to take the day off before a race, especially a long one, but I wanted to see how the feet felt in freezing temps.

Cold, not surprisingly.

But not bad after the first mile. But here's the question: did the feet actually warm up, or was it the beginning stages of frostbite? I only ran 3.5 miles. What would happen on a longer run? Do I feel like finding out tomorrow? The hot shower after the run made my toes itch like crazy.

My anxiety over the Mistletoe Half tomorrow may be for nothing; the latest weather report says 40 degrees at 7am with a 50% chance of rain. 10am is predicted to be the same temp, but with an 80% chance. Those conditions are unpleasant (at first), but tolerable. If I'm going fast (and generating heat), all the better.

If it's raining at the start, however, I might just engage in a little triple sock action: aqua socks over waterproof socks (they're gortex) over, oh, I don't know, maybe cashmere socks. I'm a delicate flower.

On that note, there's another dilemma/identity crisis. If I run barefoot tomorrow in crappy weather, people will think I'm a tough guy, ergo only tough guys run barefoot. Which of course is the opposite of what I'm preaching: you need to be a wimp to run barefoot. BUT, it's so rare for people to think of me as anything but a wuss, maybe I should just embrace the tough guy persona when I can.

I'll end this post with a quote from my patron saint:
It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off. - Woody Allen

3 comments:

  1. That's what I worried about when the cold arrived and I was still attempting to be a wussy tough guy. I think you should probably heed the advice of warming your feet up slowly with cool water before turning on the heat. But what the hell do I know? Good luck at the race! Cheers ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - forgot about the whole warm up gradually thing. I was just thinking "Steam! Glorious steam!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy running barefoot in the rain - although I am not sure about 40 degree rain...

    ReplyDelete