The bare foot is the best running coach money can't buy.

Please visit me at my new site...

This site now has a permanent URL at www.BarefootJosh.com. You will be automatically redirected in a few seconds, or go ahead and click here to go there now.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Running has ruined my fast food experience

I've never been a fast food junkie, but I do enjoy a Whopper or Big Mac (hey McDonald's - want to sponsor me? Check out my arches!) every now and then. Or at least, I did, until I started running again.

My approach to eating healthy (or at least, healthier) is simple. I don't avoid any type of food, but instead make sure I get enough good stuff (fruits and vegetables, etc). Usually once I've consumed a smoothie instead of a shake, or chicken, brown rice, broccoli, and black beans instead of a Big Mac, I'm full; and once I get in the habit of eating the good stuff, I start to crave the good stuff.

But every once in a while, sometimes out of spite, I'll order something from the value menu at one of the many drive-thrus. Sure, I enjoy eating greasy goodness, but lately the after-effects are messing up the cost-benefit ratio. I had a Whopper (Jr., no less!) yesterday afternoon. It sat in my stomach like a greasy rock of deliciousness. Very unpleasant.

3 comments:

  1. I stopped eating fast food years ago and have come to find that since then, my body apparently has decided it's all or nothing. Tried a Big Mac after craving one for days, and yeah, felt seriously ill for HOURS. Guess you either eat fast food or you don't. Better for us in the long run though, so I'm not really complaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I'll make a vegetarian out of you. The signs are already there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, on the other hand, inhaled a full-grown Whopper and feel like a million bucks. And maybe a million pounds, but still...

    ReplyDelete